Design plans for a new Multipurpose Recreation Center (MRC)are underway, bolstered by alumni support that includes a $15 million gift from Jim Hield ’77 and the WEM Foundation. The facility, expected to open in late 2025, will serve as a temporary replacement for Towne Field House, which was to be demolished in November.
Built in 1970 and named for Herbert S. Towne, Class of 1921, the field house closed in March after damage to the building’s climbing wall was discovered. Following a formal structural evaluation, a task force composed of college staff recommended to the Board of Trustees in July that the aging structure be replaced with a new facility. The goals were to closely match the existing athletics program, meet campus sustainability and architectural standards, and take into account the campus plan, which aims to “establish a long-term vision that ensures that each move Williams makes contributes to a holistic future vision for the campus.”